The find at Seloutky: a second swallow

Discovery of the lower part of the gravestone of Ann (Hannah) Fleischer

Discovery of the lower part of the gravestone of Ann (Hannah) Fleischer

The first to respond to the article in the Prostějov Daily of July 3, 2015, titled “Searching for Jewish Gravestones; People Have Them in Their Gardens”, which triggered off the searching campaign, was Mr. Karel Pekáček of Seloutky. He kept a fragment of a gravestone stele he had discovered years before during excavations for sewer. When it was examined, it was identified to belong to Hannah Fleischer, born in 1782 and died June 19, 1854. She was buried June 21, 1854 at the old Jewish cemetery in ceremony conducted by Moses Glass. A living descendant has been found: retired US diplomat Andrew Koss.

One of the finds in Mlýnská Street, Prostějov

One of the finds in Mlýnská Street, Prostějov

The find at Seloutky was not the first one. An inhabitant of Mlýnská Street in Prostějov had addressed the town museum back in May and offered minor fragments of gravestones used by previous owners of the house to pave garden footpaths. This makes Seloutky the second swallow, which proved the search in yards and gardens in and around Prostějov was the right option.

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.