This web site offers information on the project of rehabilitation of the old Jewish cemetery in Prostějov, which is to return the destroyed heritage site onto the spiritual map of the town. The place where nearly two thousand people were buried from 1801 to 1908 has become a car park and grassland where people walk their dogs.
The goal of the project is bring dignity according to the Jewish tradition to the site containing human remains, not impeding day-to-day life in the adjacent residential area and the school in vicinity. A valuable heritage site should thus arise and enrich today’s Prostějov. Rabbi Louis Kestenbaum has been the initiator and donor of the project.
We call on the public at large with the request to contribute information on the still existing gravestones or other records of the history of the site of the old Jewish cemetery in Prostějov, such as photographs, newspaper clips, recorded memories or official documents.